Monday, February 12, 2007

a morning resolve

so i went to this church once, and at the end of the service, they read this prayer. i really liked it, and i took a copy of it when i left. i'm going to post it. maybe you'll like it too.

i will try this day to live a simple, sincere life, repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement, impurity, and self-seeking;
cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity, and the habit of holy silence;
excercising economy in expenditure, generosity in giving, carefulness in conversation, diligence in appointed service, fidelity to every trust, and a childlike faith in God.
in particular i will try to be faithful in those habits of prayer, work, study, physical excercise, eating, and sleep that i believe the Holy Spirit has shown me to be right.
and as i cannot in my own strength do this, nor even with a hope of success attempt it, i look to thee, O Lord God my Father, in Jesus my Savior, and ask for the gift of the Holy Spirit.
amen.

3 comments:

saricupery said...

Love the new layout and the prayer. By the way, you look like such a Sikma in that picture! :)

Sarah

Kara said...

Katherine -

I have no idea if you remember me or not, I met you in Pittsburgh a few years back with Jon Ryskamp. We went to that cool pizza place and you guys took me up in "the Tower Of Learning" I'm a cousin by marriage I guess - I married his cousin Bill. =)

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on that prayer. It's beautiful, and though it's something you've probably had for a very long time, it was exactly what I needed to read today. Thanks for posting that.

katherine said...

sarah--i'm glad you like it. and i am a sikma. so i'm glad about that too.

kara--i do remember you. you were staying in that hotel by the airport, right? i guess you found my blog through jon's... i'm glad you liked the prayer too. thanks for saying hi. :)