Friday, December 16, 2005

VICTORY! sort of.

fifteen minutes ago, i was in my office, working diligently on the newsletter that i promised allan i'd distribute on sunday, when i heard a little scratching behind me. for a few minutes, i had convinced myself that allan was messing around in his office, which is on the other side of my wall. finally, i began to worry that it was not allan after all. i slowly turned around in my oh-so-professional black leather swivel office chair (justin, i added all those details specifically for you), and looked to where i heard the sounds. to my chagrin, i saw a little movement under the bookcase. upon closer examination, the movement was found to be caused by... dum dum DUM: HAROLD, the church mouse*.
harold has been absent from my life for a few weeks, and no one had seen or heard anything from him. those were happy times. but today, lo and behold: harold. so, i calmly swiveled around again and dialed allan's extension. i informed him of our situation, and he promised to be there momentarily. meanwhile, harold snuck out from under the bookcase and headed for the other corner. i instinctually jumped up on my chair, as i've seen my mother do numerous times in my childhood, and watched harold try to run away. but alas! harold seems to have been injured in a fight with the sticky traps that we've set for him, and was dragging his tail, hind legs, and some debris with him, hindering his mobility! so allan came in, and was quickly able to drop a plastic bowl on top of him, quite effectively trapping him. (my favorite part of this situation was when allan shuddered and screamed like a school girl after catching him. ahh, sweet bliss!) anyhow, allan, who is a die-hard pet lover, instead of immediately "disposing" of harold, took pity on him! he spent the next fifteen minutes plotting how he might de-glue him and save his life. he has taken six or seven animals into his home, and plans to do the same with harold. i am supposed to come to his house tonight to watch his three and a half year old twins, and i have threatened to back out if harold too is under my charge. despite my protests, he is presently braving the blizzard on his way to the pet store to buy a cage and some mouse food. sick sick sick sick sick.
so, i have eventually won the war with harold the church mouse for control of my office, yet he seems determined to haunt me to the death.
we'll see, harold. we'll see.

*this is not actually harold, as you can see by the lack of tail-debris, but merely a likeness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, we used to have mice. don't you remember? they were in a plastic box-like "cage," and sometimes they'd get all riled up...especially when we wanted to sleep...remember? they were cute. and soft. and then they died.

katherine said...

YES I DO REMEMBER! you know how i felt about those mice too. what were their names again?

bexala said...

congrats, katherine on removing the beast. i think morty has left the building, too. we haven't seen any signs of the little fella. that, or he's taken up residence in a box of my linens and is hibernating. i'm hoping he's just like elvis, however.

Anonymous said...

"I will never understand how women can take boiling hot wax, pour it on to their upper thigh, rip the hair out by the ROOT... and still be afraid of a [mouse]"

Indeed, Jerry. Indeed.


-Bob

Anonymous said...

Looks like God's trying to tell you something. I'm picturing your future with Harold resembling something like "What About Bob".

"You know, JC used to hang out with the lepers and all. I don't see any mention in the Bible of Jesus setting mousetraps next to his computer to catch lepers. Bad evangelism Kath. "