Thursday, August 04, 2005

the munchkins

hello again. sorry about the lack of posts. (and nate, it wouldn't kill you to post either.) i have been in ohio since sunday, masquerading as a camp counselor for small children. i had been told that there would be internet access, but it turns out that was a lie. however, much to my surprise, church camp was really fun! those of you who know me well (or went through RA training with me, or went on the OB trip with JB "i love peeing on trees" britton...) know how much disdain i feel for rustic experiences. but, i had a really good time! turns out there is a bit of camper in me after all. i can do the cabins with the rusty bunk beds and the eight-year-olds who need a nightlight. i can kill the wolf spiders in the corner and herd my campers to the vespers service out in the woods. i can do cabin inspections and group games. i can even listen to children scream, "katherine! watch me do a flip off the diving board!" for hours at a time. plus i discovered that i can swim with a nine-year-old on my back, an eight-year-old in my arms, and three small boys splashing overly-chlorinated water in my eyes without losing my temper. (but i did let someone else catch the mouse in the dining hall and get the frog out of the pool. you can't change everything.) i actually enjoyed myself. i've been spending a lot of time reminiscing about my own camp experiences as a child. i idolized my counselors. they had a pretty big effect on me and on my spiritual development, and i'm actually really glad that i could be that person for my campers this week. i guess i finally understand what all you ligonier people have been talking about for the past five years. who woulda thunk it?
but anyhow, i wanted to check in. i'm back at work today, playing catch up and enjoying the air conditioning. i've got a lot to do, and i better get to it.
spiders and smores,
sikky

5 comments:

bexala said...

Glad to hear you had a great time at camp. Sometimes I miss the Summer's Best Two Weeks so much that I want to pack up my things and live there all the time.

I miss the singing, the camp food, and the WATER SLIDE.

I'm sure you were great. If I were an 8-year-old I'd most definitely jump off the diving board demanding your attention. Heck, I might even write a little skit and perform it for you. (That was known to happen when I was a camp counselor. I saw a lot of bad plays about princesses). hehehe.

Anonymous said...

You killed Ted's FAMILY?!?!11one!?

katherine said...

nathan, i seem to remember ted killing ted's family... yes, that's right! in fact, YOU HELPED!! and i quote:
"Well, another little yellow house spider found itself in the unfortunate confines of Ted’s jar this evening, after a small bit of intervention on my part. A pretty amazing battle ensued - a good part of which saw the Tedster on his back - holding his prey in a WWF sort of inverted death-grip. WA-hoo that was sweet! (I’m such a nerd)."
--nate hibma, quoted from "Ted Strikes Again!" on "duderus"

Anonymous said...

Uhm, excuse YOU, Kath, but we're talking about Ted's more immediate family here - that being the family of *wolf spiders* - which you apparently relish in destroying. Yellow spiders aren't even close to being in the same, lofty class as wolf spiders.

I say good day to you.

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd come around...who doesn't love being at camp once they're there...only bad people, I'm pretty sure:)