Monday, November 28, 2005

the giving of thanks




i'm back to work today from a lovely and relaxing weekend in grand rapids. as always, there is much to be thankful for, but this year, i was particularly grateful for my family. after being out here in pennsylvania and meeting so many people whose families are not Christians and whose lives are full of painful experiences, i am so thankful for God's grace to my family. i grew up in a Christian home, and my entire family knows the Lord. during my grandfather's prayer at our extended family thanksgiving, he thanked God for the heritage that has been passed down from generation to generation in our family, that we have been able to know His grace and love and peace. of course, things have been difficult for my family, and we have not been free from the pain of death, divorce, etc., but i am so grateful for the constant presence of God in my family. it really is such an amazing gift. how lucky am i that i enjoy being with my family? we had a great time at home, playing trivial pursuit: pop culture edition, rummikub, and euchre. i got to stay a few days longer than usual, and it was harder to leave than usual. but still, i am thankful. we got back kind of late, but early enough (kind of) to head into the city to see the girls, chris, and new friend phil. i really do it love here.
i am thankful for safe travel, big snowflakes, wedding invitations, catching up with good friends, wolfgangs reunions, free laundry, the new house, harry potter, crossword puzzles, and coming back to 62 degree weather in pittsburgh. i am thankful for the communities i have in grand rapids and in pittsburgh: on either end of that blasted ohio turnpike, i am welcomed with open arms, smiles, and laughter.
here's this poem that i like. it's by e.e. cummings.

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)


please also enjoy these pictures of friends this weekend and a few weekends ago. i might be able to add pictures of my family also if a) someone would send me some, or 2) i had a digital camera. perhaps one of those will be remedied? :D

2 comments:

saricupery said...

I love that poem. I am going to copy it and put it in my Thanksgiving file. I can't turn off my worship leader brain...

I am confused...did Flash somehow emigrate to PA? I swear that is him in that picture! Doesn't that Phil guy kinda look like him?

katherine said...

"that phil guy" is actually dean, but yes, he does look like flash.
i'm glad you like that poem; it's one of my favorites too.