Monday, September 05, 2005

fare thee well


my grandfather died around 7:30 this morning. it was about as smooth and as peaceful as anyone could have hoped. he's been very sick for quite a while, and has been miserable since my grandma passed away almost two years ago. he never really recovered from losing her. in fact, on saturday morning, he was convinced that she was in the hospital too, and even though it was he who was slowly dying, he could think of nothing else than that she needed something. my parents called me on saturday morning to tell me that they didn't think he would make it much longer, so i decided to come home immediately. i got a bereavement flight on northwest for sunday morning, and when tracy and nate picked me up we went straight to see my grandpa. it turns out that i missed the last time he was conscious and talking by about a half an hour, but i think he knew i was there. i sat with him for a few hours in the afternoon, and then i went home to be with my family for awhile. my parents and i went back last night until about 2:30 in the morning. we didn't think it would be too long anymore after that, but he was comfortable, which i guess is all we could want for him anymore. i'm really glad that i came home when i did. i'm glad i got to say goodbye, and that i can be here with my family this week. we had a really good day today, especially considering the circumstances. but i actually love this part about death: everyone takes some time to just be together, to enjoy each other's company and to celebrate the life of our loved one, even while we mourn his death. i love the storytelling and the reminiscing that come along with death, and that through this odd twist, i find that i get to know my grandfather even better today than i did yesterday. my uncles and cousins have different memories and stories, and this collective sharing is good for my soul. thank you all for your prayers this week. i'm enjoying my time with my family more than i can say. if you are in the area and free this week, we would love to see you. the visitation will be on wednesday from 2-4 and 7-9, and the funeral is on thursday morning at eleven. if you'd like to come, call me and i'll give you directions. (also, anya knows.) i'm staying at my parents' house this week, and my cell phone doesn't get great reception. you can call me here, or leave a message on my voicemail, and i'll check it when i get out of the boondocks. okay. that's enough for today.

No comments: